Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Reflections on the week at work


I must say that I really like my internship. It’s kind of like my SAS job – God just sent it and it’s better than I could have imagined. I’m doing a variety of things, from transcribing interviews (which is really good typing practice) to helping conduct research (like I mentioned before when I got to go to an information gathering session). I got to go to another info session but this time it was with residents. Exact same layout, with the exception of a game (we’d omitted that for the service provider session as it seemed ‘unprofessional’, though I’m sure they would have secretly loved it), yet it felt completely different. It was much more laid back and easy-going and the game was hilarious. Each person got a balloon and a toothpick and had to try to keep theirs alive while popping everyone else’s. In short, chaos ensued for a few minutes. I’m glad I got to go to both sessions so I could get a better sense of the last few weeks of research and see how NGOs have to adapt their services to their two audiences. Thursday, I got to go with Aoife to an event for NGOs on the Governance Code, a code created to try to better guide NGOs so that they can keep their reputations clean and/or regain them (what with scandals and such popping up concerning non-profits around the world, consumer confidence has waned when really there are only a few people messing things up for everyone, so this is kind of a guide to keep things in better check to prevent such mishaps). Not the most exciting thing in the world, but the speakers did have very good points. Also, there was a woman translating the speech into Sign Language, which was really cool. I don’t know if it was Irish, or maybe there is a common UK sign language for Ireland and England, but it had quite a few commonalities with American Sign Language (i.e. signs slightly modified, different grammar, etc), so it was really cool to watch. I’m glad I got to go because these kinds of events are things you might have to go to if you work for a non-profit, so it gives me a better idea of this industry. I’m excited for next Thursday as I get to go to one of the clinics, where the refugees come in with their questions and have private sessions to get things straight for them. Even if I don’t end up doing something along the lines of refugee work, this internship will at least let me see several different types of jobs and their environments to help me figure out a career.

No comments:

Post a Comment