Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Last Week


            Tuesday, we had the last part of phase 1 of the project that I’ve been helping with over my internship. All of the information we’d gathered from all of the sessions with the residents and service providers we needed to condense and see if there were common themes that we could use to better understand the issues surrounding integration. This meant that I had a whole day working with Aoife, Ian, Peter, Arthur (the new guy from Belfast), and Seamus (he generally works in the Southeast so I’ve only seen him 2x). I really enjoyed this because it gave some closure to the work I’d been doing (there is a phase 2 but they’re starting that now) and I could have a break from transcribing and see more of this research process. So I really enjoyed that.
Aoife, Ian, Me, Peter, Arthur

            Wednesday, I finished my paper so I wouldn’t have to worry about that anymore – 18 pages on my organization. Didn’t really want to do that, but at least I’m done. EUSA had a going away dinner for all of us that night. It was at a fancy hotel so I expected fancy food like the first night, but it was fried finger food. It was still good, but not what I was expecting at all. They had a game after we ate of ‘how Irish are you?’ That was fun, I knew some of the answers and others I definitely didn’t (um sports, yeah). We came in 3rd and just missed getting a prize – womp womp. It was still really fun and definitely a great way to end it. After that, Elizabeth, Maddie and I stayed out to enjoy the city more, trying to soak in as much of Dublin as possible before we leave.
I'm in an Elizabeth-Maddie Sandwich!

Erin, Adam, Me

            Thursday was my last day at work. Aoife, Ian and Peter had to go do a presentation before a council so they couldn’t have too many people or I would have tagged along. So I expected my last day to be uneventful as I would be at the office transcribing. Well, turns out it was the biggest press day in the organization’s history. Long story short, a judge made some controversial comments about the Polish people living in Ireland and the Integration Centre was calling her out on it, so just about every media everyone decided to drop by the office. Add in that they’ve been working on the roof, but today they were extra noisy and there were toxic fumes coming in, which gives me a headache (of course, the new plastic smell gives me a headache too). To top that off, there were more clients than usual coming in, one of whom had two crying babies. So did I have a quite last day? haha NO. I felt bad for Brian because Helena just went on vacation so he had to take care of all the press stuff by himself (though Killian helped him a lot too when he wasn’t being interviewed). I also felt bad for Tosin because everyone was demanding everything of her since she was office manager. Somehow everyone took care of everything and all of the craziness ended. Then, Aoife, Peter and Ian came back. We’d all decided to go out after work to have a nice hangout and say goodbye, so we were waiting for them to get back. Well, they came back and then they gave me some gifts – that was really nice and they didn’t have to at all. They got a cake in the shape of a caterpillar – Ian picked it out because it was colorful and happy – haha I’ll take that. They got me an array of little gifts, the coolest of which were the penny whistle and lavender soap and lotion Aoife got me. They’re from her hometown in Wicklow! How awesome is that! So that was very nice and then we all went to a pub and just talked and had fun. It was exactly what I wanted because just about everyone was there, though some did have to leave early, but it was still great. I have really enjoyed my time here and it is mostly because they’re so awesome and are really good friends. I’m really going to miss them. After everyone had left, I went home and got to spend a little more time with Maddie before she left in the morning, which was nice as I won’t see until school starts.
sat in the Dublin castle courtyard

cool arch in Gaelic

they got me a caterpillar cake!

Peter!

Brian and Peter being silly

Aoife!

Zeph!

Peter, Tosin and Ian

Arthur, Killian and Aoife 

            Friday, I packed in the morning so that would be taken care of. Elizabeth and I finished the rest of our food and then we went with Julia and met Anne in the city centre. Originally Elizabeth and I wanted to bike at Phoenix Park but the weather didn’t cooperate. So we all just chilled at a café, then did our final gift shopping. Then, Julia, Anne and I went to see Brave, the new Pixar Scottish movie. It was really good and portrayed the Celtic elements really well so I greatly enjoyed it. Elizabeth went to see the Book of Kells while we did that, so we met up with her afterwards. Then she and I went and met Victor at a Chinese place while Julia and Anne went back to UCD. After dinner, we went and chilled in St. Stephen’s Green, which is perhaps one of my favorite parks. Unfortunately, it closes early so we got kicked out. It was still early evening, so we went back and watched a movie before going to bed for our early risings in the morning. It was definitely a nice, laid back day to enjoy Dublin and our favorite things about it.
Leprechaun Mickey!

Elizabeth

awesome flower

swan family in the park :)

chilling on the lawn

Elizabeth and I


            Now I’m in the airport waiting for my flight back to Boston so I can hang out with Alex, - that is after we go to his friend’s wedding. Which, amazingly, is a couple I haven’t met (I’ve met two other couples who are getting married and was hoping it was one of them, but it’s not haha just my luck). But I am glad I get to spend time with my brother, as he’s not been at home very much this year and he already doesn’t spend much time at home anyways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment